We’re excited to announce a major refresh of our How-to Guides and in-app Tours. These are 2 distinct types of self-help and training resources available under the Help menu when you’re signed into your Library.
Our new How-to Guides replace our previous Scrible Edu Guides, which were a set of PDFs containing screenshots and captions on different topics to help guide you through various aspects of using Scrible Edu such as signing up, installing and using the Scrible Toolbar Chrome Extension, connecting/syncing with Google Classroom, etc. Those guides were launched a year ago and became increasingly outdated with major product updates we made in May and November of 2018.
The new How-to Guides are better because:
- New Interfaces. They’re updated to cover those product changes and show our current interfaces.
- More Topics. There’s more of them covering more topics. This is an ongoing effort. Our library of How-to Guides will grow over time and cover an increasing number of topics. Let us know what’s missing that you’d like us to cover next.
- Bite-Sized. They’re more succinct and focused. Some of the previous PDF Guides were long and covered multiple topics. These new Guides are shorter and easier to digest quickly.
- Webpages, not PDFs. They’re built as responsive webpages instead of PDFs. So, their size/layout automatically adjusts to the screen size you’re on. This prevents you from having to constantly zoom in and out if you’re viewing a guide on a phone or tablet.
- Personalized to You. The Guides are automatically grouped and shown to you based on who you are and the Plan you’re on so that you see the guides that are most relevant and useful to you. For example, if you’re a student on our free Edu Plan, you’ll be shown the student guides for our Edu Plan. If you’re a teacher, you’ll see How-to Guides (Edu Pro Plan Teachers) under your Help menu. Selecting that will navigate you to a page listing Guides for Edu Pro Teachers, which looks like this:
From there, you’ll see the list of guides relevant to you and can click on any of them to view the particular guide of interest.
Our in-app Tours provide in-context guidance to help you understand how to use Scrible while you’re signed into your account. They walk you through key features in different interfaces of our system. Each Tour is presented as a set of steps, with each step highlighting a particular feature and showing explanatory text and, in some cases, a screenshot or animated GIF to clarify how the feature works. For example, if you want to understand how our Outline Editor works, under the Help menu atop your Library, select Tours > Outline Tab Tour.
This’ll navigate you to the Outline Editor in the Outline Tab of your Library and launch the first step of the Tour. In the top left corner, you’ll see the 1/3 in a small green box indicating that you’re on the first step of a 3 step Tour. In any Tour, you can click Next>> or <<Prev to move to the next step or previous step, respectively, in the Tour or Ok, got it to end and exit the Tour.
As with our How-to Guides, this is ongoing effort. Our library of in-app Tours will grow over time and cover more interfaces and features. Let us know what’s missing that you’d like us to cover next.
We’re excited to update these self-help and training resources. Please let us know what you think! We welcome feedback and requests for additional Guides and Tours and even other types of resources!
-The Scrible Team